Addicted to beach? Me too. 3 reasons I just can't stop


"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- Jacques Cousteau

This line well summarises my love for beaches. I remember the first time I was near the sea. It was Varkala Beach in Kerala. Pristine shore and mountainous terrains makes it one of the beautiful beaches in the country.
I do not believe in love at first sight but the moment I climbed down from the cliff to the beach, I fell in love. My relationship with beaches has been my most committed relationship. I remember the kiss of the salty breeze on my face and sunlight shining bright making the water look like pearls afloat. In that instance, the magnificent sea hooked me to its beauty.


It has been two years since I set my eyes on the sea. I crave to be near a sea now and then. Thank God, I stay in a city where I can afford to be near my love every other weekend or even on a weekday.  
So, I want to share three reasons that make me crave for beaches.

It is ‘me’ time
I to go to a beach to have quiet ‘me’ time. In a world full of noise and hours occupied by screen time, beaches provide me with a quiet zone. Although there are people around me but during that moment, they cease to exist. More than the chatter outside, it is the voices taking place inside our head which wears us out. Going to the beach is sometimes just like meditation. Meditation calls for a mind to remain still or to acknowledge every passing thought and then push it away. Here, I find the consistent ebbing very meditative. 
Although I come to the beach with a few problems that I need to think about, beaches do not allow me to do that. It has its own whims and fancies. However, I return with a light mind and renewed exuberance that helps me to tackle the oddities that life has to offer me.
The sea speaks to me
“Although I have a regular work schedule, I take time to go for long walks on the beach so that I can listen to what is going on inside my head. If my work isn’t going well, I lie down in the middle of a workday and gaze at the ceiling while I listen and visualize what goes on in my imagination.”–Albert Einstein
I have mentioned in the earlier paragraph that beaches have a meditative effect but that is just not all. I find beaches relaxing and stimulating. While on some days, I leave the beach with just a clear mind and on some days, I return with new ideas and perspectives. It may be a new blog topic or speech or just a new way to look at things.
I got the idea to write about this blog post on a cool January Saturday evening in Gorai Beach, a beach in the outskirts of Mumbai.  
Beaches are also a good place to journal. I pull up a self-discovery prompt from a journaling site and get going. It helps me to understand myself in a much better way. This opens up new possibilities.
Beach is the best place to be if I am facing with writer’s block. Although most beaches draw huge crowds (why should not it?), but somehow miraculously I find solitude there. Solitude is one of the key ingredients for a creative mind. It is only in solitude that one can hear their thoughts clearly and focus. 

It heals me
This is the third and most important factor. Beaches heal my mind just as medicines heal our physical problems. We cannot disclose a few things to our friends or family. In this scenario, beaches provide with a healthy vent of the frustrations building up in my system. What makes it more healing is the part where I almost get my answers from the sea. It calms me making me ready for yet another day.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role model in the form of grandma

Visit to a waterfall

BEAUTY