My 24th birthday

My life is all about impulsiveness to the horror of my grandmother. Life is best lived without planning, enjoying unexpected turns and expecting nothing from others.
And travelling. Travelling not to exotic locations but to places you know just a little about and where google also fails. It is a different kind of rush.
Travelling alone or with a few people whom I like best is a great way to spend a Sunday. If that Sunday happens to be a birthday, everything falls into line quite naturally.
Birthdays make me depressed and I don't know why. Birthday is a time to reflect what I have done the whole year and how I am going to spend my year.
Hence on Saturday, I made my mind to go to Trivandrum alone. Going alone especially on a birthday is seen as a disease or a totally outlandish thing to do. But believe it or not travelling alone has a liberating impact. Things you never thought you can do alone now seems like cake walk.
Boyfriends are long gone things and having a father who encourages me to travel makes me feel light. Like there is no one in the world I am answerable to for my wild and not so wild adventures.
At 5.45 AM , I went to catch a auto to the state owned bus stand. Reaching the stand, a Trivandrum bound bus greeted me. The four and half hour long journey began. The sun was not yet out and the wind had a chilling effect. The only part of the day , one can feel winter in this part of India.
The bus travelled through clean roads and bridges. Rubber and banana gardens adorned the streets. Kerala is full of hills and just at any moment one can witness the wonders of mother nature.
Around 8.30 AM , the temperature rose and the weather became pleasant. It is like the soft winter mornings where both breeze and sunlight is in the right measure. Both were in harmony which made a loner like me smile without any reason.
Bus travels are romantic. The breeze plays with my hair , enters my lungs making me feel naked. A little distance makes a lot of things clear.
The rubber trees all bend to nature's wind direction makes me realize about the need to stand straight even when situations are against me.
Reaching Trivandrum, I took a prepaid auto the natural history museum. To my surprise both the museum and zoo are in one place.
The surrounding of the museum is very  beautiful with lawns to sit if someone wants to. The front part of the building has a colonial and sophisticated appearance. The items on display are the wooden , ivory and stone works of the different gods from different eras.
It was when I was admiring the architecture of the building that a guy came to me and asked me where is the zoo. I replied that I don't know for sure but it must be a inside this area. He asked me was I alone and when I said yes , he wanted to join me. Normally , I am repelled ; why can't a girl have some quality time alone. But I said 'sure'.
As we talked and roamed the zoo, I realized why should life be so mundane. Moreover, it was my birthday. The zoo was seriously awesome. The reptile house, zebra, pond, rhinos, magnificent tigers, leopards, owls and you name it; it is miniature forest. I have planned to return by 1 pm but it was past one in the zoo.
Having shared that today is my birthday, we planned to have lunch together. We had lunch and a pastry later.
At 2.00, he accompanied me to the KSRTC bus stand. Sometimes unexpected things happen and it is about taking that chance. It is about filling the diary called life with different colours and hues. Sometimes it is about letting things go and forgetting the pain and pleasure that people bring. Remaining aloof is the key. My heart has been broken so many times that it is beyond repair. So used to the pain, that elusive pain. That nothing matters anymore.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Role model in the form of grandma

Visit to a waterfall

BEAUTY