An incredible journey with my grandpa

Life is a constant struggle, a never ending journey and only way is forward. Deep within us, our soul is always guided by a force, sometimes nudging us forward and sometimes dragging us back. Recently my grandpa passed away. Walking down a memory lane spanning 25 years, I can say that my life had been an incredible journey with my grandpa.


When I was born, the near and dear ones started speculating whom I resemble most in the family.It’s a family thing most of us have been through a lot of times in life. A face destined to grow with age comes under comparison and peculiar matchmaking right after birth, it’s funny. Speaking of my face, my grandpa was obsessed with my red birthmark on my left cheek. He used to apply olive oil on my face so that my birthmark reduces. So, every time I visited his place, he first looked at my birthmark and continued with his normal routine of oiling my face. I loved this ritual because it was during this time that I got his whole undivided attention. Just for information, olive oil does not reduce birthmarks and birthmarks diminish gradually.

My grandpa was a really serious person. He was the professor of mathematics and he gave a lot of value and importance to studies. He made sure that I do well in my studies especially mathematics. He used to spend hours with me clearing my doubts. I must say that he was really patient. Despite all the time given to education, all I use to look forward to were the lip smacking snacks he had in store for us.

I saw my grandpa changing with age and there was nothing I could do to reverse time. From a phase where he used to visit us daily to the one where public transport became difficult for him, my love for him never diminished or faded. In fact, it grew deeper every day. As years passed, I made a conscious decision to spend as much as time possible with him listening to his stories. I tried to make him happy in every small way possible.

Now, that he is gone, I will cherish every moment spent around him. The stories he told, the lessons he taught, the love and care he gave and the blessings he bestowed. I will only regret not being there by his side while he was taking his last breaths. A lifetime spent with my grandpa and today it makes me happy that I have instilled a bit of him in me and I hope that I will be able instill a lot more. I hope that the path I walk in my life will make him proud. I am blessed to be a part of my grandpa’s odyssey and honored that he will be a part of me and my family ever long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role model in the form of grandma

Visit to a waterfall

BEAUTY